Sunday, February 6, 2011

In a mystery set in Key West and Havana, Mad Mick Murphy stumbles into a plot to overthrow the communist government of Cuba. Read a free sample of Chasin the Wind by Michael Haskins


Here's the set-up for Chasin' The Wind:

“Chasin’ the Wind” nails the colorful and often violent action in both Key West, Florida, and Havana, Cuba. It navigates corruption and small town politics in the southernmost city of the United States.

It bumps into a scheme to topple Cuba's communist government and throws Cuban exiles and military deserters, neurotic federal agents, plus a few unique Key Westers into a brew that promises international repercussions.

When officials sworn to uphold the law try to subvert it in Key West, journalist Liam Michael “Mad Mick” Murphy is compelled to react. He and a ragtag group of citizens confront failed justice, but are left with only revenge as an option. Except, perhaps a renegade deal with the Cuban government. Dodging treachery, Mad Mick Murphy goes headlong toward treason, dragging his team of "typical" islanders deeper into the mess they wanted to eliminate. 

My second in Mick Murphy Key West Mystery will be available mid Feb. 2011. "Free Range Institution" reunites the characters in "Chasin' the Wind" as they run and hide from a corrupt city commissioner and DEA Agent and they do this while trying to stop a seaplane full of drugs from coming into Key West.

There are sample chapters on my website - www.michaelhaskins.net - please check the site out.

From the Author:
 My mystery novel is fiction, but Key West looms in the background, the bars and restaurants and many of the characters that run through its pages are taken from real life. If you have visited the island, you will know this. If not, come on down and see for yourself.

I moved to Key West to sail and today I own a 1973, 36-foot Amel sloop. With friends, I have sailed to Cuba four times and flown from Miami once. Much of what I learned about Cuba is in my novel. 

In my writing, I have tried to be faithful to the island and its businesses. I should remind you that my story is fiction, because crime as I write it does not happen in Key West. We are a long way from the mayhem and gangs of Miami, but with a vivid imagination, I have been able to create the situations needed for a political-murder mystery.

Hope to see you at the Hog's Breath or Schooner Wharf one of these days. 

And here, in the comfort of your own browser, is your free sample:


No comments:

Post a Comment